2012 Starboard Rio
$1,415.00 — $1,699.00
Bridging the gap between planing boards and light-wind longboards, blurring the line between stable entry level boards and progressive freeride boards, the Rio S, M and L are the boards that cover the widest scope of users for all-wind conditions: windsurfing for everyone, every time and everywhere.
RIO S, M, L
The long and wide shapes of these boards are fast with a smooth glide in light winds. For advanced riders, the longer, narrower shape combined with the inboard heel-recesses and a strong daggerboard allows the board to power upwind off the leeward rail.
New! The Rio M and L are all-new shapes that are planing earlier and easier. The new shapes are longer in the nose: the boards are stretched out to glide faster and transition into planing mode smoothly and effortlessly.
As the wind speed increases, the Rio S, M and L’s extra wide tail provides the early planing, the high speeds and the high performance racing fun that have made it a best seller in the all-wind windsurfing category.
The Rio S, M, L special features
- Contour Deck- makes it easy for everyone to progress into the straps, and easy to rail upwind for advanced windsurfers.
- Allgaier daggerboard – the new Rios now come fitted with the classic All Gaier daggerboard system. The All Gaier system is a guarantee of reliability and convenience. Extremely easy and smooth to operate, it can last for decades without the need for any special maintenance.
- A wide and long shape with a wide tail : stable at slow speeds, fast to glide and transitions smoothly from non-planing to planing.
- Nose carry handle for convenience.
- Integrated nose protector
- New! Longer nose with a longer, lower rocker – for more longitudinal stability and more glide (Rio M and L)
- Full EVA deck (Rio)
- Long, wide outlines with extra volume in the rail midesection for additional stability
- Centre carry handle
- Multiple insert positions offer tuning options for entry level/ intermediate/advanced riders
- Extra-wide tails offer easier and earlier planing
- Contour deck makes it easier than ever to get into the footstraps
- Tufskin construction
- Allgaier daggerboard system
- Side-cuts improve fin drive and release
- Tail cutaways improve speed and acceleration
The Rio XL is our longer addition to the Rio range, offering the most most glide due to its length, most light-wind speed and most longitudinal stability. It has good sideway stability for beginners due to its 82.5cm width and boxy rails , but not as much as the Start M and L.
This makes Rio XL the ideal choice for schools that base their methods on classic gliding speed from the start. First-time windsurfers get gliding right away, and at the same time they’ll get hooked to the sensation. This is not a board for planing, but a dedicated entry level board.
The Rio XL special features
- Nose hole allows the board to be towed or safely locked
- Armour Tech construction: lighter and stronger than polypropylene blow-moulded plastic boards
- Extra Long shape offers maximum light-wind speed and glide for beginners
- All-white finish makes the Rio XL easy to repair and maintain.
- Moderate width offers sufficient lateral stability for beginners
- Allgaier daggerboard system
- Shallow 22cm tail fin to help keep the board tracking straight yet easy to manoeuvre